OFFICE YOGA FIGURE 4
All of our poses and sequences have been verified and approved by licensed Physical Therapist from Renew Physical Therapy and MD from Columbia University.
The Office Yoga® Figure 4 is a non traditional pose that we use in Office Yoga® for it’s many great benefits. The Figure 4 is a balance pose which requires students to stay focused and engaged in the present moment. It’s also a hip opener, which helps relieve tension and tightness in the outer hips and lower back. You don’t need fancy stretch pants or a yoga mat to get into this pose!
When the muscles in the outer hips are restricted, it has a rippling effect in posture, breath and surrounding areas such as the lower back. The Office Yoga® Figure 4 helps release tightness in the outer hips, Iliotibial band (IT band), gluteus maximus, tensor fasciae latae (TFL) and quadratus limborum (QL). The QL is responsible for standing upright and stabilizing the lower back. The QL also aids in exhalation.
The Office Yoga® Figure 4 also helps strengthen and stabilize the standing leg. The quadriceps, calves and feet are committed to help keep the body stable. The core is also engaged to help with stabilization.
The Office Yoga® Figure 4 is a balance pose that requires mental strength and directed attention. It helps to steady the breath, (inhale 4 counts, exhale 4 counts) and focus the eyes on a single, steady point (also known as drishti). This pose quickly forces you to focus and engage in the present moment. If your mind is racing from one thought to the next, it will be more difficult to balance. When done successfully, balance poses allow you to feel stable and grounded moving forward.
How to get into the Office Yoga® Figure 4
- Stand straight up, with your shoulders over your hips
- Balance the weight into your LEFT leg and bring your RIGHT knee into towards your chest
- Flex your RIGHT foot and bring your ankle to your opposite knee
- Sit back into your hips like you’re sitting into a chair
- Bring your hands to prayer, anjali mudra. Press palms gently into each other. Feel the arms and upper back engage
- For better balance, engage your core and gently press RIGHT ankle into LEFT knee
- Hold for 5 breaths, feel your entire body involved
- On the 5th exhale, step your RIGHT foot down and repeat on the second side.
Office Yoga® Figure 4 Variations
Figure 4 w/ Forward Fold: Follow the instructions above.
- Once you are in the pose, lean forward and place both hands on the floor or blocks.
- Hold for 5 breaths
- Slowly come up to stand, place your feet on the floor.
- Repeat on the second side.
Figure 4 w/ Twist: Follow the instructions above.
- Once you are in the pose, begin to twist to the LEFT
- Place your RIGHT elbow to the sole of your RIGHT foot
- Keep your hands in prayer, anjali mudra, and firmly press your elbow and foot into each other. Use that as leverage to turn.
- Pull the RIGHT belly back and in, turn a little more.
- Hold for 5 breaths and repeat on the second side.
If you want Office Yoga® sessions at your workplace, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for scheduling and details!